Serves: 4 Total time: 35 mins Preparation time: 5 mins Cooking time: 30 mins
½ tbs sunflower oil
2 chicken thighs and 2 drumsticks
½ onion, finely chopped
150g medium button mushrooms, quartered
100ml dry white wine
150ml double cream
Fresh thyme leaves
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Fry the thighs for 8-10 minutes, skin side only, until golden brown, then transfer to a casserole dish. Fry the drumsticks for about 5 minutes each side and add them to the thighs.
- Add the stock, just to cover the chicken ( if there is not enough stock, add a little water).
- Bring stock to the boil and cover, leaving lid slightly ajar. Cook at just below simmering point for 30-35 minutes until chicken is cooked.
- Meanwhile, drain oil from the pan, heat the butter in pan and add onion. Sweat onion for 5 minutes until soft, but not coloured.
- Add the mushrooms, turn up the heat, sauté for 3 minutes. Stir in the white wine, bring to the boil, and boil rapidly for 6-8 minutes until reduced by two-thirds.
- Once chicken legs are cooked, strain stock into pan with the onion, mushrooms and white wine, bring back to the boil and reduce again by two-thirds until it is thick and syrupy.
- Whisk in double cream, bring it to the boil, season, pour over chicken.