Cool, homemade version of the burn caramel taste.
Yields: 1 Quart Total time: 6 h 5 mins Preparation time: 65 mins Chilling time: 5 h
1 cup sugar
1 cup hot water
½ cup powdered sugar
2 cups heavy cream
Pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Heat sugar and ¼ cup water for 5 minutes in a big skillet on medium high heat until the sugar melts and boils, stirring occasionally.
- Boil for about 5 minutes until the mixture becomes dark brown in colour; remove from heat.
- Gradually stir in remaining ¾ cup water. Cool to room temperature and set aside.
- Beat eggs for 3 minutes in a medium bowl until thick and light yellow; gradually beat in powdered sugar.
- Stir in cream, salt and vanilla.
- Add caramel mixture, gently stir until smooth.
- Cover and chill for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Pour the mixture into an ice cream machine and churn until frozen. Transfer to plastic container and place in the freezer for an hour before serving.
Serving: take it out for 5-10 minutes before serving, or longer, so it comes to the right scooping temperature.
Easy suggestion: ice cream is best served in chilled glass or porcelain bowls. Scoop it with a hot, but dry, ice-cream spoon (soak it in boiling water, then wipe dry).
For additional photos and cooking details, please visit Easy Cook - Laka kuharica