Preparation time: 20mins
Cooking time: 50mins
Total time: 1h 40mins
2 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
75g ground almonds
80g caster sugar
1 ¼ tbs (50g) runny honey
250ml natural yoghurt
150ml sunflower oil
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
50g unsalted pistachios, roughly chopped
For the syrup:
100g caster sugar
Juice of 1 lemon
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Add the ground almonds and caster sugar and mix.
- Mix the eggs, honey, yoghurt, sunflower oil and lemon zest together well in another bowl.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and slowly pour in the wet ingredients, bringing them together with a whisk until they are just combined.
- Add some chopped pistachios to the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the 22cm spring form cake tin lined with greaseproof paper and bake in the oven at 180°C for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool in the tin for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the syrup. In a small saucepan, boil the water and sugar for about 5 minutes until it is reduced by half. Add the lemon juice and boil for a further 2 minutes, then cool and add the rosewater.
- Make holes on top of the warm cake with a toothpick and spoon the syrup all over the top. Scatter the pistachios over and leave to cool for 1 hour.
Decorate with rose petals before serving.